Friday, December 10, 2021

Teach My Heart, O Lord!

Psalms 119:33-40

ה HE

33 Teach me, O LORD, the way of Your statutes,
And I shall keep it to the end.

34 Give me understanding, and I shall keep Your law;
Indeed, I shall observe it with my whole heart.

35 Make me walk in the path of Your commandments,
For I delight in it.

36 Incline my heart to Your testimonies,
And not to covetousness.

37 Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things,
And revive me in Your way.

38 Establish Your word to Your servant,
Who is devoted to fearing You.

39 Turn away my reproach which I dread,
For Your judgments are good.

40 Behold, I long for Your precepts;
Revive me in Your righteousness.


HE, the fifth letter of the Hebrew alphabet and fifth group of verses in this psalm, is an excellent example for our hearts in desiring God’s word.  It begins with a cry of eagerness and earnest desire to be taught by God, which is answered by Him for we who are in the Messiah (John 6:45) and who have the promise of His presence and word in regenerated hearts (Isaiah 59:21, Ezekiel 36:26, 2 Corinthians 3:3, Hebrews 8:10-12).  What He then teaches us, we vow to keep to the end (Luke 8:15), as we rely on His working in us to work out all we are commanded in life (Philippians 1:6, 2:12-13).  We follow the example to ask God for und of the scriptures so we are able to apply our wholehearted efforts into keeping His word, not relying on our own wisdom to reason things out or in our own strength to make changes happen.  We therefore humble ourselves under His mighty hand (1 Peter 5:6-7) to be lifted up and led into willing obedience, asking for Him to make us walk out His word as we find great delight in it as verse 35 tells us.  We furthermore petition Him to move our hearts to covet His ways and not covet gain for ourselves (James 4:3).  This means we pray to have Him redirect our sight from temporal things to the eternal (2 Corinthians 4:18) which do not fade away (1 Peter 1:4-5), and revive us along the way as He has given us life in Christ to begin with.  The psalmist asked the LORD to establish or root His word in him because he was devoted to follow if fearful awe (1 Peter 5:10).  This is how He settles His word in us in our sanctification.  We know all God said is good and true, and beg forgiveness when we sin and face His just reproach; we also long to know and live accordingly and with accountability in the grace we are given.  Oh, Lord, do revive me in Your righteousness and not allow me to attempt to do so in my own!  Give me that life predetermined according to Your working in my willing obedience to Your word (Ephesians 2:10) by the faith measured out to me (Ephesians 2:8-9).  Teach my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment