Saturday, December 4, 2021

His Saving Mercy Endures Forever!

Psalms 118:1-14

1 Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good!
For His mercy endures forever.

2 Let Israel now say,
"His mercy endures forever."
3 Let the house of Aaron now say,
"His mercy endures forever."
4 Let those who fear the LORD now say,
"His mercy endures forever."

5 I called on the LORD in distress;
The LORD answered me and set me in a broad place.

6 The LORD is on my side;
I will not fear.
What can man do to me?
7 The LORD is for me among those who help me;
Therefore I shall see my desire on those who hate me.

8 It is better to trust in the LORD
Than to put confidence in man.
9 It is better to trust in the LORD
Than to put confidence in princes.

10 All nations surrounded me,
But in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.

11 They surrounded me,
Yes, they surrounded me;
But in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.
12 They surrounded me like bees;
They were quenched like a fire of thorns;
For in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.

13 You pushed me violently, that I might fall,
But the LORD helped me.

14 The LORD is my strength and song,
And He has become my salvation.


Let us  all cry out as the scripture tells us, “His mercy endures forever!”  Because He is good and good to we His people in such unwarranted mercy, we overflow with thanksgiving and praise.  This is something which all of God’s people, Jew and Gentile alike, repeat in praise and with thankful hearts, just as it is repeated in this song.  We can pray this, we can sing it, but most of all, we feel it in our deepest being and express it out of overflowing joy when we consider who the Lord is and all He has done.  We acknowledge our deeply stained souls encrusted with sin and the end we all deserve since Adam and Eve first rebelled in disobedience to God’s goodness.  We humbly then give unending thanks for His eternal salvation by grace from that sentence of death upon us all.  When we cry out in our distress, He hears and answers according to His word and will.  This is certain.  He then brings us to a broad and stable footing of peace in Himself (Roman 5:1) that passes all understanding (Philippians 4:7).  Because we know by promise that God is for us (Romans 8:31), we can put fear of others aside, knowing His help is available in our times of need (Hebrews 4:16).  There is no lasting confidence in any man, especially not our political leaders, so we place our trust (faith) in God alone in Christ alone by the power of the Spirit alone according to His word alone.  God will destroy our enemies on the day of judgment if not sooner, and we know their vain gathering against us will come to nothing against His predetermined providence.  The Lord helps us in His strength, and so I sing of His mercy forever, I will sing.  Because He has become our salvation where we could not save ourselves by attempting to keep His word, we find that strength against the doubts of the certainty of our deliverance in Christ.  Nobody has the ability to snatch us out of His mighty hand of mercy and grace.  Not even we ourselves.  His saving mercy endures forever and fuels our praises!  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment