Monday, December 20, 2021

Love and Hate

Psalms 119:113-120
ס SAMEK

113 I hate the double-minded,
But I love Your law.

114 You are my hiding place and my shield;
I hope in Your word.

115 Depart from me, you evildoers,
For I will keep the commandments of my God!

116 Uphold me according to Your word, that I may live;
And do not let me be ashamed of my hope.

117 Hold me up, and I shall be safe,
And I shall observe Your statutes continually.

118 You reject all those who stray from Your statutes,
For their deceit is falsehood.

119 You put away all the wicked of the earth like dross;
Therefore I love Your testimonies.

120 My flesh trembles for fear of You,
And I am afraid of Your judgments.


Love and hate according to God’s word is behind the psalmist’s words sung here to us.  He hates those unable to choose and hold to what is right and wrong, who think and do contrarily and without any more conviction than what is suitable for self in each situation.  These double-minded are divided in heart and mind, driven by the winds of wavering faith (James 1:6-8) and sinful in hand and heart (James 4:8).  But we are called to the example of loving God’s word in practice, as well as hating the double-mindedness of faithless pride resulting in sinful thoughts and actions.  When we find refuge under the Rock of our salvation, finding shelter in the storm, it is because we hope and trust in the scriptures coming from God’s breath to land on printed pages which His Spirit moves into hand and heart in a supernatural way, like the unseen wind leading to salvation (John 3:8).  Therefore, we do not keep intimate company with evildoers (1 Corinthians 15:33), but with those who do as God says.  This is not to say we must come out of the world or to judge others (God’s word holds them already in judgment (John 12:48), but not to keep such close relationships that we are drawn from the will and word of God ourselves in becoming like those we relate closely.  As for me, I will choose to follow God according to His word.  By that word He upholds us and gives abundant life in hope and not in shame of that precious certainty of salvation’s hope.  He holds us to keep us in the palm of His hand in security which is removes its grip on us (John 10:28-29).  Because we are safe, we keep His commands continually; we do not live to obey in order to earn or not lose our standing, but because of the goodness and grace of the security of God’s promises in Christ for that standing in His righteousness that earned our salvation by ahi’s work and not our ever-infallible works.  God rejects those vessels of destruction who can be seen by their willingly continuous disobedience and disbelief, but we have been called and given faith to hear and believe, to understand and love His word in willing obedience.  We have the mind of Christ in these things which the wicked do not because of their rebellion and treasonous insurrection against God’s kingdom.  Those will be scooped off the refined metal of the faithful as slag is removed from purified metals as it is written here.  But we who love His testimonies of His good news of grace through the calling of repentance and faith will find a love for His word in fear and trembling with absolute and confident hope in His words and work.  We hate sin and love God.  He hates sin and loves us who follow as a result. 

No comments:

Post a Comment