Saturday, December 18, 2021

Steer to Stay the Course

Psalms 119:97-104
מ MEM

97 Oh, how I love Your law!
It is my meditation all the day.

98 You, through Your commandments, make me wiser than my enemies;
For they are ever with me.

99 I have more understanding than all my teachers,
For Your testimonies are my meditation.

100 I understand more than the ancients,
Because I keep Your precepts.

101 I have restrained my feet from every evil way,
That I may keep Your word.

102 I have not departed from Your judgments,
For You Yourself have taught me.

103 How sweet are Your words to my taste,
Sweeter than honey to my mouth!

104 Through Your precepts I get understanding;
Therefore I hate every false way.


We are to steer our lives according to God’s word to stay the course set before us, by loving His words and dwelling on them throughout each day in all circumstances.  The meditation of our hearts should be on what He has said to fill our hearts in following Him as prescribed.  If we meditate on what we hear and read or better still, what we memorize in the scriptures, that changes us and keeps our navigation straight and true.  His commandments give us wisdom to overcome our ever-present enemies and in our understanding make us mature in wisdom years alone cannot provide.  But that wisdom is found only in putting the knowledge to feet and hands and lips.  Keeping God’s word stays our feet from walking on paths of evil and keeps us stayed on the course of the race set before us (Hebrews 12:1-2, Philippians 3:13-14).  If we covenant to keep those judgments which God teaches us by His Spirit living in us, we find it easier with His help in our willing participation.  How sweet are His words!  Yes, they are so much better than honey or any other material food we can find.  By His Word working in us, we get deep understanding to build wisdom which avoids the pitfalls of all the false paths offered by the world and its temporary ruler to keep us from God’s way in Christ.  May we so love God’s scriptures as the psalmist wrote here, and may His word steer us to stay the course! 

No comments:

Post a Comment