Thursday, August 3, 2017

Sent to the Nations

Acts 22:17-21 
17 “Now it happened, when I returned to Jerusalem and was praying in the temple, that I was in a trance 18 and saw Him saying to me, ‘Make haste and get out of Jerusalem quickly, for they will not receive your testimony concerning Me.’ 19 So I said, ‘Lord, they know that in every synagogue I imprisoned and beat those who believe on You. 20 And when the blood of Your martyr Stephen was shed, I also was standing by consenting to his death, and guarding the clothes of those who were killing him.’ 21 Then He said to me, ‘Depart, for I will send you far from here to the Gentiles.’ ”

So Paul recounted God's saving grace again, this time when warned to leave Jerusalem in a hurry for safety.  Paul knew he had persecuted many of God's children, and even watched gladly as Stephen was killed for his testimony.  Because of the gospel and its offense to the Jewish leaders, God was sending Paul to the nations who would hear, fulfilling the promises to Abraham and Isaac to bring children from the world to God.  This was the biggest offense to those who arrogantly assumed they were the only ones of God, and God was theirs alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment