Thursday, April 13, 2017

Rise, Kill, Eat

Acts 11:6-9   
6 When I observed it intently and considered, I saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 7 And I heard a voice saying to me, ‘Rise, Peter; kill and eat.’ 8 But I said, ‘Not so, Lord! For nothing common or unclean has at any time entered my mouth.’ 9 But the voice answered me again from heaven, ‘What God has cleansed you must not call common.’

Peter saw unclean things that God had said were unclean that He showed in a waking dream, then seemed to go contrary to the Law by telling him to kill and eat these.  The lesson was to not call something unclean or forbidden by man's reason, but by God's command.  God called the nations outside of Israel, God's chosen, as also cleansed in Christ.  The gospel was for all God called, not all man decided were worthy.  So it remains today.

No comments:

Post a Comment