Thursday, August 26, 2021

The LORD is the Avenger

Psalms 35:1-14

A Psalm of David.

1 Plead my cause, O LORD, with those who strive with me;
Fight against those who fight against me.
2 Take hold of shield and buckler,
And stand up for my help.

3 Also draw out the spear,
And stop those who pursue me.
Say to my soul,
"I am your salvation."

4 Let those be put to shame and brought to dishonor
Who seek after my life;
Let those be turned back and brought to confusion
Who plot my hurt.

5 Let them be like chaff before the wind,
And let the angel of the LORD chase them.
6 Let their way be dark and slippery,
And let the angel of the LORD pursue them.

7 For without cause they have hidden their net for me in a pit,
Which they have dug without cause for my life.
8 Let destruction come upon him unexpectedly,
And let his net that he has hidden catch himself;
Into that very destruction let him fall.

9 And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD;
It shall rejoice in His salvation.

10 All my bones shall say,
"LORD, who is like You,
Delivering the poor from him who is too strong for him,
Yes, the poor and the needy from him who plunders him?"

11 Fierce witnesses rise up;
They ask me things that I do not know.
12 They reward me evil for good,
To the sorrow of my soul.

13 But as for me, when they were sick,
My clothing was sackcloth;
I humbled myself with fasting;
And my prayer would return to my own heart.

14 I paced about as though he were my friend or brother;
I bowed down heavily, as one who mourns for his mother.


King David knew what it was like to be constantly attacked and slandered by his enemies as he sought to live for the LORD.  In this song he points to vengeance as being the LORD’s, not his to pursue (Deuteronomy 32:35, Romans 12:19, Hebrews 10:30).  It truly is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God for retribution according to divine justice; who are we to seek it ourselves when we deserve the same if not for mercy in forgiving grace?  Therefore, the king pleaded with God to plead his case and fight as a warrior to defend him as God’s own.  He prayed for protection as well as for the LORD to become his salvation, for God Himself to be the deliverance from his enemies.  He also asked that his enemies would be put to shame and dishonored for attacking one who belongs to God, that confusion would overwhelm them and stop their attacks.  He even prayed that the Angel of the LORD would go after them and sort them out as chaff separated from the grains of wheat in a strong wind on His threshing floor (Luke 3:17)!  This ask was for their continued pursuit and baseless scheming to take his life; the psalmist asked specifically that the net of destruction set for him by them would entrap his enemies for destruction.  When this occurred, David would rejoice in the LORD and His deliverance.  He did not seek his own vengeance (Romans 12:19), but entrusted his soul to the Avenger.  He praised God for being the only one who can save the poor and needy ones from the strong oppressors.  Even when faced with aggressive and false witnesses, ones who reward evil for his good to them, he repaid evil with good (Romans 12:17, 21).  This is what Jesus Christ demonstrated for us that we might do the same for our enemies.  We should be agonizing in supplication for those who attack, and even meet their needs when they are sick.  In humility as our brothers’ keepers, we possess our souls.  We should even follow David’s example here to treat them as a friend or brother as we pray for them and do good for them in response, mourning over their state before God who avenges.  The Lord is the avenger (2 Thessalonians 1:8).  Pray and do good in response to evil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment