Sunday, August 15, 2021

Divine Examination and Redemption

Psalms 26:1-12 

A Psalm of David.

1 Vindicate me, O LORD,
For I have walked in my integrity.
I have also trusted in the LORD;
I shall not slip.

2 Examine me, O LORD, and prove me;
Try my mind and my heart.
3 For Your lovingkindness is before my eyes,
And I have walked in Your truth.

4 I have not sat with idolatrous mortals,
Nor will I go in with hypocrites.
5 I have hated the assembly of evildoers,
And will not sit with the wicked.

6 I will wash my hands in innocence;
So I will go about Your altar, O LORD,
7 That I may proclaim with the voice of thanksgiving,
And tell of all Your wondrous works.

8 LORD, I have loved the habitation of Your house,
And the place where Your glory dwells.

9 Do not gather my soul with sinners,
Nor my life with bloodthirsty men,
10 In whose hands is a sinister scheme,
And whose right hand is full of bribes.

11 But as for me, I will walk in my integrity;
Redeem me and be merciful to me.
12 My foot stands in an even place;
In the congregations I will bless the LORD.


This song is a prayer inviting God to examine the psalmist’s life and heart in order to redeem the man living after God’s own heart.  This should be our prayer as well.  David skied to be vindicated by the LORD, to judge him according to his righteousness as in Psalm 7:8-10, to feast and prove the direction of his life according to His word.  As he trusted the Lord, he trusted that he would not fail in pursing righteousness by willing obedience.  We now do this according to the frame of the grace of Christ in complete atoning forgiveness.  Therefore David’s prayer was to be divinely examined and proven after being put to the test.  He prayed for testing to prove his mind and heart because he focused on God’s mercy and goodness towards him as he lived to walk out the truths of His word and will according to the commands and principles there.  We are given the same word of truth to pattern our walks after.  How?  By not participating in idolatrous situations or associating with evildoers so as not to be corrupted by their bad habits (1 Corinthians 15:33-34).  Then we can come to prayer and worship with clear consciences through avoidance and confession of sin.  That allows us to be thankful for a good testimony among all (1 Timothy 3:7, 3 John 1:12), telling them of God’s wonderful works of deliverance as a testimony of grace and salvation in Christ Jesus our Lord.  We find such living gives us great joy among God’s people in the assembly where we behold His glory, and in our own temples where He lives within us!  Then we remember that we have redemption in the Lord which king David saw from far off, having a more certain hope (Hebrews 6:19), not a gathering with condemned sinners apart from grace.  What shall we do as David did?  Live rightly according to His word and rest in mercy.  Be holy because and as He is holy.  Stand firm in the righteousness of Christ in imitating Him, blessing and thanking Him with songs of praise for divine examination and redemption. 

No comments:

Post a Comment