Friday, August 27, 2021

Prayer for Vindication in Adversity

Psalms 35:15-28

15 But in my adversity they rejoiced
And gathered together;
Attackers gathered against me,
And I did not know it;
They tore at me and did not cease;
16 With ungodly mockers at feasts
They gnashed at me with their teeth.

17 Lord, how long will You look on?
Rescue me from their destructions,
My precious life from the lions.

18 I will give You thanks in the great assembly;
I will praise You among many people.

19 Let them not rejoice over me who are wrongfully my enemies;
Nor let them wink with the eye who hate me without a cause.

20 For they do not speak peace,
But they devise deceitful matters
Against the quiet ones in the land.

21 They also opened their mouth wide against me,
And said, "Aha, aha!
Our eyes have seen it."

22 This You have seen, O LORD;
Do not keep silence.
O Lord, do not be far from me.

23 Stir up Yourself, and awake to my vindication,
To my cause, my God and my Lord.
24 Vindicate me, O LORD my God, according to Your righteousness;
And let them not rejoice over me.
25 Let them not say in their hearts, "Ah, so we would have it!"
Let them not say, "We have swallowed him up."

26 Let them be ashamed and brought to mutual confusion
Who rejoice at my hurt;
Let them be clothed with shame and dishonor
Who exalt themselves against me.

27 Let them shout for joy and be glad,
Who favor my righteous cause;
And let them say continually,
"Let the LORD be magnified,
Who has pleasure in the prosperity of His servant."

28 And my tongue shall speak of Your righteousness
And of Your praise all the day long.


The first half of this psalm reminded us that the LORD is our avenger; this half now petitions God to avenge their wrongdoing against him, and not delay in doing so.  He begins with how his adversaries took advantage of his adversity, gathering to,attack him in his weakened state.  They incessantly tore him down and mocked him, gnashing their teeth at him as they did to Jesus on the cross (Job 16:9-10, Psalm 22:7, 13), a visual silent threat of violent wrath.  In verse 17, the psalmist asks God how long until He offers relief through deliverance, rescue from the lions tearing at him (Psalm 22:21), attacking the life which is precious to God.  What did he do?  He praised God with thanksgiving for all He had done before, while also anticipating the deliverance to come.  He did this in the assembly (Psalm 22:25), equivalent to the congregation of the church of God’s people today.  David also asked that his enemies would not be able to rejoice over his adversity, enemies without a just cause to hate or attack him.  These are the ones who use deceit to overthrow peace against those not lifting their voice to protest or fight back.  We see this evil at work still today with those opposed to God and Christ, His people who are the assembly we call the church.  They bear false witness of things to bring accusations to tear down God’s people, intending to shame His name through us.  But God sees it all, and He is not far off, ready to answer soon as we plead with Him as the psalmist did.  He prayed for vindication according to His righteousness, not man’s, asking for the shame on his enemies to swallow them up instead of their devouring him.  He also prayed that they would be confused, dishonored, and defeated.  We see then how he prayed for all God’s people be glad and to shout for joy in supporting his righteous cause in the midst of the false accusations and attacks, giving us the example to rejoice with those who rejoice (Romans 12:15) who know and follow Christ our Lord.  We should therefore join in constantly saying that the Lord be magnified in life or death (Philippians 1:20)!  The Lord has pleasure in our good standing in Him and His righteousness, therefore we should be saying this out loud every day, praising the Father in Christ Jesus by His Holy Spirit within us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment