Saturday, July 31, 2021

Trust in the LORD’s Salvation

Psalms 13:1-6
To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.

1 How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever?
How long will You hide Your face from me?

2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul,
Having sorrow in my heart daily?
How long will my enemy be exalted over me?

3 Consider and hear me, O LORD my God;
Enlighten my eyes,
Lest I sleep the sleep of death;

4 Lest my enemy say,
"I have prevailed against him";
Lest those who trouble me rejoice when I am moved.

5 But I have trusted in Your mercy;
My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation.
6 I will sing to the LORD,
Because He has dealt bountifully with me.


This is a recurring theme from King David, to ask God how long until the king’s enemies are recompensed for the evil they do (Revelation 6:10).  He wanted God’s vengeance, not his own.  Though the waiting made him feel as if God was distant in response, as if he was forgotten from God’s eyes, he held to hope and therefore prayed in psalms he sung as a reminder to himself and for us to come.  He daily talked through what to do as he awaited God to avenge the wrongdoing as he did his best to be a man after God’s own heart.  Though his enemies seemed to prosper over him and made David sorrowful, he still continued to pray for enlightenment of His plan and for relief, and not death at his enemy’s hands.  He did not want the wicked ones to gloat in victory over him, for that would also appear to be victory over God Himself in their minds.  What then did he do?  He trusted in God’s mercy in the grace of deliverance (salvation).  He sang praises because God’s grace abounded to him (2 Corinthians 1:5, 8:2) as a testimony to others, including we now who are in Christ.  We can rejoice in suffering (1 Peter 4:13, Philippians 3:10) for Christ’s sake until the day of final judgment where we are avenged for the enemies of the cross and ourselves.  Until then we pray in rejoicing, singing and patiently waiting while we glory in He mercy and grace given to us.  The enemy will not gloat over us in eternity.  Therefore we have hope (Romans 15:4) through these scriptures meant for us as much as for David.  We trust in the LORD’s salvation with full assurance of hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment