Tuesday, July 20, 2021

There is Help in Times of Need

Psalms 3:1-8

1 LORD, how they have increased who trouble me!
Many are they who rise up against me.

2 Many are they who say of me,
"There is no help for him in God."

Selah

3 But You, O LORD, are a shield for me,
My glory and the One who lifts up my head.

4 I cried to the LORD with my voice,
And He heard me from His holy hill.

Selah

5 I lay down and slept;
I awoke, for the LORD sustained me.

6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people
Who have set themselves against me all around.

7 Arise, O LORD;
Save me, O my God!
For You have struck all my enemies on the cheekbone;
You have broken the teeth of the ungodly.

8 Salvation belongs to the LORD.
Your blessing is upon Your people.

Selah


This song of David speaks of God’s help in adversity.  He is there when our enemies come against us and trouble our hearts and minds and wills with threats, mocking our trust in God as if we will find no help in the Almighty.  This was David’s experience, and it often remains the case for us who are in Christ as well.  The song pauses with a selah to let that sink in before verses 3 and 4.  Then we find that the trust must be in the absolute truth of the LORD as our defender, a shield against the fiery darts of the wicked one cast at us (Ephesians 6:16) to weaken our trust in God’s providence and sustaining grace.  God gives us confidence to bring hope that lifts our downtrodden head as we are dismayed and tired in the war against us; when we cry for help in prayer, He is listening and hears in order to act on our behalf and for His glory.  He is not merely a God on an untouchable temple on a holy hill, but one who has walked among us and now has taken up residence within us, an immense difference from King David and those who have gone before us by faith in the promise to come (Ezekiel 36:26, John 14:17, 2 Corinthians 3:3, Colossians 1:27).  Let that sink in before looking again at verses 5 through 8 to see what comes next.  Like David, we can rest in faith and sleep peacefully through the night, knowing God keeps us.  We are in His good hands no matter how many adversaries come against us from all angles in life.  We are not all hunted like that king to face murder, but the attacks come in many unrelenting ways at times for us as well.  We should not fear either.  The answer to fear is to call on God to protect and to deliver us from all evil (Matthew 6:13).  He is our victory (1 Corinthians 15:57), and we are in Him!  Yes, deliverance from sin and death are found in our LORD, our Lord Jesus Christ; He blesses us because we have been called out to Himself.  We are the universal and unseen church who are His children and His people whom He has delivered and will continue to deliver (Colossians 1:13, 2 Corinthians 1:10).  He is our help in times of need.  Rest with a long ‘selah’ in that wondrous truth when you face suffering or adversity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment