Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Prayer for Deliverance and Praise to The Deliverer

Psalms 57:1-11 

To the Chief Musician. Set to "Do Not Destroy." A Michtam of David when he fled from Saul into the cave.

1 Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me!
For my soul trusts in You;
And in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge,
Until these calamities have passed by.

2 I will cry out to God Most High,
To God who performs all things for me.
3 He shall send from heaven and save me;
He reproaches the one who would swallow me up.

Selah

God shall send forth His mercy and His truth.

4 My soul is among lions;
I lie among the sons of men
Who are set on fire,
Whose teeth are spears and arrows,
And their tongue a sharp sword.

5 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;
Let Your glory be above all the earth.

6 They have prepared a net for my steps;
My soul is bowed down;
They have dug a pit before me;
Into the midst of it they themselves have fallen.

Selah

7 My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast;
I will sing and give praise.

8 Awake, my glory!
Awake, lute and harp!
I will awaken the dawn.

9 I will praise You, O Lord, among the peoples;
I will sing to You among the nations.

10 For Your mercy reaches unto the heavens,
And Your truth unto the clouds.

11 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;
Let Your glory be above all the earth.


As also Psalm 108:1–5, we have a song here which is a prayer asking deliverance from enemies and praise to the Deliverer.  Prayer founded in faith trusts God in the adversity and calamities of life, whether under pursuit and attack like king David when Saul pursued his life to take it from him, or in our daily western milder persecution of verbal or legal attacks.  He trusted God and took refuge in His care.  We can also.  Prayer cries out in need for deliverance from those set against us, knowing that the Most High, the Creator of heaven and earth, is not limited in His response (Jeremiah 33:3, 32:27).  He looks over His children with loving watchcare.  Think about that for a while, knowing He sends mercy and truth to rectify things, now and forevermore.  We may be living with people who would attack like lions, just like their father the devil (1 Peter 5:8, John 8:44), but God exalts and honors His own glory in dealing with them and for our good in His name.  He causes them to fall into their own traps and snares as their father will in the lake of fire prepared for him (Matthew 25:41).  This is another time to stop and consider these things, like the selah of the psalm reminds us.  Like the psalmist, our hearts should remain steadfast and immovable (1 Corinthians 15:58, Hebrews 6:19, 1 Peter 5:10) in this faith in which we stand, moving us to praise our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ!  Awake the sunrise with songs of praise and among others to know the only true God and Jesus Christ whom He sent.  We sing of His mercies forever and of His eternally abiding truth of His word for our deliverance and His glory.  May we find this song in our heart equally under persecution and in good times, knowing that we can approach His heavenly throne in times of need (Hebrews 4:16) and in times of reflection on His greatness in goodness.  Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be above all the earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment