Saturday, September 18, 2021

Answered Prayer for Deliverance

Psalms 54:1-7
To the Chief Musician. With stringed instruments. A Contemplation of David when the Ziphites went and said to Saul, "Is David not hiding with us?"

1 Save me, O God, by Your name,
And vindicate me by Your strength.

2 Hear my prayer, O God;
Give ear to the words of my mouth.

3 For strangers have risen up against me,
And oppressors have sought after my life;
They have not set God before them.

Selah

4 Behold, God is my helper;
The Lord is with those who uphold my life.

5 He will repay my enemies for their evil.
Cut them off in Your truth.

6 I will freely sacrifice to You;
I will praise Your name, O LORD, for it is good.

7 For He has delivered me out of all trouble;
And my eye has seen its desire upon my enemies.


The psalmist King David was constantly pursued by his enemies who wanted to kill him as God’s chosen and anointed ruler of His people.  When they gave away his position to King Saul who was after David’s life, he penned this song as a prayer to ask God for vindication, for just deliverance, from them by the divine and sovereign Judge.  He acknowledged that his salvation was by God’s strength and for the sake of a His name and for His glory and honor in that name.  Therefore, he pleaded with the LORD to hear his prayer and heed his words of the request for deliverance from his enemies, many who he did not even know.  They did not put God in their sight, and so attacked Him as they did His people.  Dwell on that.  David exalted God for being the One who helps him and all others who He used to assist David through warnings and assistance.  He lets them know when they read or hear this psalm that God is with them to honor them in these matters.  In the end, the king knew that God would judge rightly and bring justice on those enemies through the truth of His word.  The end result was David praising and worshiping God in these times of adversity, lifting up His glorious name and character as always good when others are not.  He acknowledged God’s deliverance out of all trouble as he saw the recompense of God’s payment on His enemies in divine justice to them, and mercy by grace to himself.  We can also trust God to deliver us from our adversaries (Matthew 6:13, Galatians 1:4), now and in eternity.  There is answered prayer for our deliverance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment