Monday, May 27, 2019

Thyatira: Walk Circumspectly and Wisely to Overcome

Revelation 2:18-29 
18 “And to the angel of the church in Thyatira write,
‘These things says the Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, and His feet like fine brass: 19 “I know your works, love, service, faith, and your patience; and as for your works, the last are more than the first. 20 Nevertheless I have a few things against you, because you allow that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, to teach and seduce My servants to commit sexual immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols. 21 And I gave her time to repent of her sexual immorality, and she did not repent. 22 Indeed I will cast her into a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of their deeds. 23 I will kill her children with death, and all the churches shall know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works. 24 “Now to you I say, and to the rest in Thyatira, as many as do not have this doctrine, who have not known the depths of Satan, as they say, I will put on you no other burden. 25 But hold fast what you have till I come. 26 And he who overcomes, and keeps My works until the end, to him I will give power over the nations—27 ‘He shall rule them with a rod of iron; They shall be dashed to pieces like the potter's vessels’—as I also have received from My Father; 28 and I will give him the morning star. 29 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” ’

The third church addressed by the Son of God, Jesus Christ, hears of His burning holiness and perfect purity from head to toe.  The Lord begins with what they do well before addressing the issues of wrath and judgement.  He commends their love in serving others, their patient endurance as they exercise their God-given faith, and their increasing amount of good works they do.  But there are still areas that cause His eyes to burn with judgement; their tolerance of a false prophet who leads the members into sexual sin by her lies, the one refusing to acknowledge God’s word and character this all goes against.  If they worship the Lord, how can they allow false teaching that promotes blatant sin (as has become common the past few years in our own time now)?  There are consequences for sin, especially when there is no confession and repentance, and we are each held accountable for what we do, teach, or allow.  Sin earns its wages as death, true in both the physical as well as spiritual.  What are they (and we) to do?  Remember first of all that God searches and knows our minds; we can hide nothing, and so we don’t dodge accountability.  Hold fast to sound teaching (doctrine) and overcome the lies and sin being falsely taught as acceptable to God.  Look forward to the final judgement when all is set right and we reign with our Lord who is the light of the new Jerusalem forever.  Hear what He says to the churches who are us, and walk circumspectly in wisdom (Ephesians 5:15-21). 

No comments:

Post a Comment