Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Philadelphia: Eternal Door of the True Shepherd

Revelation 3:7-13 
7 “And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write,  “These things says He who is holy, He who is true, ‘He who has the key of David, He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens”: 8 “I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name. 9 Indeed I will make those of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews and are not, but lie—indeed I will make them come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you. 10 Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. 11 Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown. 12 He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.  13 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” ’

The Holy and True God now speaks to the church in the city of brotherly love.  The Lord has the messianic key of deliverance from sin to salvation, and nobody can take those He calls from His hand (John 10:28-29, Isaiah 43:13).  When He opens the door to the sheepfold as the one Shepherd, we go in and out without fear of it being closed by anyone (John 10:9).  Jesus Christ knows us and He knows our hearts in all we do or don’t do, so we also hear these encouraging words to keep following in loving obedience with what little strength we have.  Yes, we too do not deny His name but stand for the truth of this one who is the only Way, Truth, and Life against the false teachers and lies of imposters.  Here there were false Jews who said they were of God but actually served the temporary ruler of this world in their refusal of the truth.  Many more cults and liars abound today, masquerading with Jesus’s name, but these do not serve or know Him either.  We know Him and walk in the truth, knowing His love for us.  He keeps us as we trust Him when severe trials and adversity test the world, holding to His word and promises to persevere to the end.  Nobody will take our reward of His good pleasure if we continue to follow faithfully.  We overcome by His blood and our testimony of His work (Revelation 12:11), and our faithfulness will support His temple as pillars of truth with new names - His, His holy New Jerusalem, and our own given by Him (Revelation 2:17).  If we listen and heed what He tells us through this letter to Philadelphia and the letters to the other churches, we are assured of His calling and mighty hand which keeps us for eternity to strengthen us to keep His word and testimony.  We have entered through the eternal door of the true Shepherd and are confidently kept by His mighty hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment