Thursday, December 20, 2018

Servant-Slaves of the Gospel

Philemon 1:17-22 
17 If then you count me as a partner, receive him as you would me. 18 But if he has wronged you or owes anything, put that on my account. 19 I, Paul, am writing with my own hand. I will repay—not to mention to you that you owe me even your own self besides. 20 Yes, brother, let me have joy from you in the Lord; refresh my heart in the Lord.  21 Having confidence in your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say. 22 But, meanwhile, also prepare a guest room for me, for I trust that through your prayers I shall be granted to you.

Paul appealed to Philemon to accept him as a κοινωνός, koinōnos, one sharing or fellowshipping with him in the work of Christ.  Because of this, he begged him to accept the runaway slave back with forgiveness and an open heart as a brother in Christ.  Going further, Paul also offered to pay for any damages or loss Onesimus might have incurred, being a peacemaker and showing grace as Christ has to him and to us.  Paul reminded him that he was personally writing this letter (not by a scribe), and that Philemon owed Paul his life (at least eternally).  He longed for a gracious response to bring joy and rest from concern in this matter of the free man who was still a slave.  The confidence of Philemon’s obedience to do the right thing inspired Paul to boldly assert this as the response, to do all in light of Christ’s work in and through Onesimus.  He ends with a request to make a room ready for him to come visit if he is released from prison, asking for prayer that God would allow this.  The focus of this entire situation is on our behalf to see beyond the issue of slavery to the freedom in Christ which impels is to give all as His servant-slaves for the souls of men and the glory of God in Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment