Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Grace and Peace in the Fight

2 Timothy 4:16-18    
16 At my first defense no one stood with me, but all forsook me. May it not be charged against them. 17 But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that the message might be preached fully through me, and that all the Gentiles might hear. Also I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion. 18 And the Lord will deliver me from every evil work and preserve me for His heavenly kingdom. To Him be glory forever and ever. Amen!

When Paul was persecuted for the gospel, those around him acted as the apostles did when Jesus was taken in the Garden of Gethsemane.  They all left him out of fear, both for their lives and possibly for their standing in the community.  But Paul did not want this held against them, choosing to follow Christ’s example by forgiveness in their faults and fears.  This is how he persisted in bringing the gospel to the nations in spite of opposition and lack of support in God’s calling in these times.  He knew deliverance from the evil set against him for the gospel’s and Christ’s sake, acknowledging the preserving grace of God.  He also looked to future deliverance based on God’s past and present faithfulness, all for the heavenly kingdom’s work to bring in the sheaves and gather the sheep.  This is how he could write of glory to be ascribed to this almighty and sovereign Lord of all.  This is why we must look to his example in ministry of the gospel and hope in eternity.  We need to lean on Him when others run from us and leave us to fight the good fight alone, forgiving as Jesus did on the cross in knowing they really do not comprehend what they are doing.  Grace and peace for the fight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment