Monday, December 3, 2018

Example for Longing, Running, and Desiring

2 Timothy 4:6-8    
6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

The letter to Timothy begins by summing up the life of Paul’s example (Philippians 3:17) with his living sacrifice (Romans 12:1) and race for Christ and the gospel’s sake (Philippians 3:13-14, Acts 20:24).  He knows the beginning is near as the end looms before him, and knows that the fight was completely worth all the suffering and anguish because of the joy set before him (Hebrews 12:2) as the Lord gave the example.  Paul gave the example for us as well to pursue Christ and God’s service to our dying breath, never wavering in this grace of faith.  Our resurrection will lead to  Christ’s righteousness as our crowning before the King of Glory, for our Judge has declared us righteousness solely because of Christ’s work and grace to us.  He is the righteous Judge in dealing with sin Himself that we might have the Son’s righteousness seen on our account at the final judgement.  We are assured that this sentence of grace and mercy will be given as we long for and greatly desire to see His coming and the final days when all is made new (Revelation 21:5). 

No comments:

Post a Comment