Friday, April 6, 2018

Opened Doors

1 Corinthians 16:5-9    
5 Now I will come to you when I pass through Macedonia (for I am passing through Macedonia). 6 And it may be that I will remain, or even spend the winter with you, that you may send me on my journey, wherever I go. 7 For I do not wish to see you now on the way; but I hope to stay a while with you, if the Lord permits.   8 But I will tarry in Ephesus until Pentecost. 9 For a great and effective door has opened to me, and there are many adversaries.

Paul gets to his final desires and plans as this letter comes near a close.  He speaks of traveling through Macedonia, but caveats it as James reminds us with ‘if the Lord wills he will do this or that’ (James 4:13-17).  He could stay when on the way to Macedonia, or be sent to any number of places afterwards.  He shows the desire if in God’s will to spend more time with them, while still wanting to be in Ephesus for Pentecost to take advantage of the opening of great opportunities to preach the gospel there.  He knows God provides the opportunity as well as allowing the opposition.  All is for the sake of the gospel, to reconcile as many as are appointed to eternal life.  We can learn to be so driven and guided. 

No comments:

Post a Comment