Monday, April 16, 2018

Grief and Gladness

2 Corinthians 2:1-4    
1 But I determined this within myself, that I would not come again to you in sorrow. 2 For if I make you sorrowful, then who is he who makes me glad but the one who is made sorrowful by me?   3 And I wrote this very thing to you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow over those from whom I ought to have joy, having confidence in you all that my joy is the joy of you all. 4 For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote to you, with many tears, not that you should be grieved, but that you might know the love which I have so abundantly for you.

Paul had to address difficulties in the Corinthian church, yet did not do it to make them remain sorrowful, nor did he want to feel only their grief over the sin.  What he sought was forgiveness and reconciliation for the offenders and the resulting joy of Christ working in them.  He loved and cared for those he pointed out sin in, not to be judgmental but to see wholeness in their lives together in Christ.  It was not easy for him to write about the sin and firmly warn of the consequences if not repented of, but again he did it for their good out of this act of love.  He demonstrated true love that is an action, not just a feeling.  We can learn from this to correct when necessary in love that is concerned, humble, and direct enough to restore fellowship.  

No comments:

Post a Comment