Thursday, April 5, 2018

Fitting Collections

1 Corinthians 16:1-4    
1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given orders to the churches of Galatia, so you must do also: 2 On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come. 3 And when I come, whomever you approve by your letters I will send to bear your gift to Jerusalem. 4 But if it is fitting that I go also, they will go with me.

Support for the church began like this, where Paul changed from the normal asking for collections when he visited to a purposeful plan.  He requested that they considered what they would give ahead of time, lay that aside, and then be ready to give what was on their hearts when he stopped by on he way to the main church in need at Jerusalem.  He even asked they appoint one of their own to take the gift to them, so they knew where the gifts were going to.  Paul did offer to go with them on the journey if they desired, however.  This all ensured accountability with sincere giving without pressure.  That is the model. 

No comments:

Post a Comment