Thursday, August 30, 2018

Grace Abounding for Everything

Philippians 4:10-13    
10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity. 11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Paul was overjoyed with how the Christ followers at Philippi were always looking for opportunities to meet the needs of God’s servant messenger.  He made it clear, however, that it was not about his needs.  He expressed his complete reliance on Christ, no matter what the circumstances were.  Godliness with contentment was the greatest gain for him as he wrote in 1 Timothy 6:6.  You see, Paul learned to accept much or little, knowing that every want and abundance came from the always good hand of the Almighty creator and sustainer of all.  Whether he was starving while shipwrecked or abounding as others supplied him with more than he could take, he looked to Christ to be able to live and do the work he was called to.  He pioneered Hudson Taylor’s saying, “God’s work done in God’s way will never lack God’s supply.”  We can learn from the example God gives us in working this out in Paul, trusting instead of complaining, rejoicing in place of asking for more ease in bad situations, and not forgetting His grace in times of abundance.  This is how we glorify God by doing all we are called and command to do with unwavering trust in His goodness and power in bad and good times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment