Saturday, August 11, 2018

Caring Grace

Philippians 1:3-8    
3 I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, 4 always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy, 5 for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now, 6 being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ; 7 just as it is right for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart, inasmuch as both in my chains and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers with me of grace. 8 For God is my witness, how greatly I long for you all with the affection of Jesus Christ.

Paul first thanked God for the fellowship of the saints, the Christ followers, in Philippi.  He told how he constantly prayed for them, asking for God’s work to continue in them.  He trusted God explicitly that He would finish the work from salvation through a lifelong conforming sanctification in them till Christ returns, but continued to petition God for them in that as well.  This was not based on Paul’s effort of prayer, but on God’s promises and faithfulness, which gave the confidence to them all.  He had them in his heart, knowing how they supported him as he suffered in and for the gospel’s sake.  Paul recognized the grace toward each of them and expressed his affection as Christ’s for them.  Therefore he longed very much for them and their spiritual welfare.  This example is for us to follow, caring based on God’s grace in Christ and loving as He does through prayer and ministry to each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment