Sunday, February 18, 2018

Gospel Necessity

1 Corinthians 9:15-18   
15 But I have used none of these things, nor have I written these things that it should be done so to me; for it would be better for me to die than that anyone should make my boasting void. 16 For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is me if I do not preach the gospel! 17 For if I do this willingly, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have been entrusted with a stewardship. 18 What is my reward then? That when I preach the gospel, I may present the gospel of Christ without charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel.

Though Paul had every right by scriptural example, he chose to not take wages for bringing the gospel, instead working as a tentmaker.  He did this to avoid being seen as holding this over others, as being deserving or authoritatively expecting to receive something in return.  He willingly was sold out to Christ and His gospel, not because he had to, but because the love of his Savior compelled him.  It was necessary and of his desire to preach the gospel at any cost, knowing there was no boasting because it was Christ working through him.  We also should never think we just “have to” preach the gospel, but it should be the driving love of God in us to be able to do nothing less.  

No comments:

Post a Comment