Monday, February 19, 2018

Adapting and Overcoming

1 Corinthians 9:19-23   
19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 Now this I do for the gospel's sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.

Freedom in Christ does not negate empathy and cultural understanding to best communicate the gospel  without being offensive.  Paul did not live lawlessly, yet did not push the laws over grace to the non-Jews.  Likewise, he respected the background of the fellow Jews as he spoke to them from the traditions and culture of his fathers.  But he put his Heavenly Father first by staying true to the gospel and its holiness from the heart into action.  He did all this to bring the grace of God’s mercy in the gospel of Christ to all.  So should we serve all to win their hearts to God in Him by the good message we bring, not preaching culture, but the unifying grace of salvation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment