Sunday, May 1, 2022

We are Lovesick for our Beloved

 Song of Songs 5:1-8

   The Beloved

1 I have come to my garden, my sister, my spouse;
I have gathered my myrrh with my spice;
I have eaten my honeycomb with my honey;
I have drunk my wine with my milk.

   (To His Friends)
Eat, O friends!
Drink, yes, drink deeply,
O beloved ones!

   The Shulamite

2 I sleep, but my heart is awake;
It is the voice of my beloved!
He knocks, saying,

"Open for me, my sister, my love,
My dove, my perfect one;
For my head is covered with dew,
My locks with the drops of the night."

3 I have taken off my robe;
How can I put it on again?
I have washed my feet;
How can I defile them?

4 My beloved put his hand
By the latch of the door,
And my heart yearned for him.

5 I arose to open for my beloved,
And my hands dripped with myrrh,
My fingers with liquid myrrh,
On the handles of the lock.

6 I opened for my beloved,
But my beloved had turned away and was gone.
My heart leaped up when he spoke.
I sought him, but I could not find him;
I called him, but he gave me no answer.

7 The watchmen who went about the city found me.
They struck me, they wounded me;
The keepers of the walls
Took my veil away from me.

8 I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem,
If you find my beloved,
That you tell him I am lovesick!


The Shulamite woman had a fitful night while longing to be united with her beloved.  He told her he had come to the place where she became his garden to grow and be fruitful in, preparing himself for the wedding to his bride without physical intimacy until the wedding day as he called and treated her also as a sister.  He calls his friends to celebrate the upcoming union with him as well.  She hears this and can no longer find sleep because of the longing of growing anticipation.  She is in bed and hears him come knocking at the door but cannot arise because she is not dressed yet.  She tells him that she is not robed and her feet are already washed for sleep, not wanting to defile what has been made clean, similarly as we have washed ourselves clean in Christ for his return by putting off sin and keeping holy for Him.  He tried the door, but stopped short of opening it, perhaps because it was locked, and her heart leapt at the anticipation of seeing him.  By the time she did get up and dressed to open the door for him, he had left, and she left her dripping perfume on the door handle where his hand had just been.  Her heart had kept within but now was left alone again, so she went out looking for him.  She found the night watchmen (like roaming police constables) but was unable to ask if they had seen him in the streets because they assaulted her and ripped off her veil even.  She calls out to the people of God in Jerusalem to relay her message of deep love for her beloved if they come across him since she can safely look no further.  This lovesick bride to be cannot wait until they meet and are united at last, just as we who are the bride of Christ, His church, eagerly anticipate His return and our wedding feast at last!  Yes, we long for our union in the heavens with our Lord, our Beloved to whom we are betrothed and who we daily seek and yearn for.  We are lovesick for the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment