Friday, April 29, 2022

Precious Coach of Love

Song of Songs 3:1-11

The Shulamite

1 By night on my bed I sought the one I love;
I sought him, but I did not find him.
2 "I will rise now," I said,
"And go about the city;
In the streets and in the squares
I will seek the one I love."
I sought him, but I did not find him.

3 The watchmen who go about the city found me;
I said,
"Have you seen the one I love?"
4 Scarcely had I passed by them,
When I found the one I love.
I held him and would not let him go,
Until I had brought him to the house of my mother,
And into the chamber of her who conceived me.

5 I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem,
By the gazelles or by the does of the field,
Do not stir up nor awaken love
Until it pleases.

6 Who is this coming out of the wilderness
Like pillars of smoke,
Perfumed with myrrh and frankincense,
With all the merchant's fragrant powders?

7 Behold, it is Solomon's couch,
With sixty valiant men around it,
Of the valiant of Israel.
8 They all hold swords,
Being expert in war.
Every man has his sword on his thigh
Because of fear in the night.

9 Of the wood of Lebanon
Solomon the King
Made himself a palanquin:

10 He made its pillars of silver,
Its support of gold,
Its seat of purple,
Its interior paved with love
By the daughters of Jerusalem.

11 Go forth, O daughters of Zion,
And see King Solomon with the crown
With which his mother crowned him
On the day of his wedding,
The day of the gladness of his heart.


The Shulamite woman in love with king Solomon went all through the city looking for the one she loved after first longing and looking for him in her heart and head while lying on her bed, but could not find him at first.  The night watchmen had not seen him when asked, but then she found him immediately after asking them in her diligent search.  Ah, when she finally found him, she refused to let him go so she would not lose him again.  This is a picture of the believers in Christ who are found by Him in their longing and how they want to go nowhere far away from His presence again because of His love and theirs.  Like the Shulamite preparing to marry her beloved, we also are to be Christ’s bride as the church and introduce Him to our families that they might know Him as we do.  The charge is as before in Song of Solomon 2:7 to be certain to only stir up such love and devotion for the one who is worthy and not another.  This certainly applies in physical relationships, but more so in spiritual to not pit our hearts and lives in the hands of false lovers of our souls who are not the divine Christ of God come in the flesh.  When the King of kings approaches us it will be infinitely more glorious than Solomon’s litter with his bearers.  It will be on the throne in New Jerusalem where unending praise and honor extol His glory before our eyes at last (Job 19:26-27, Revelation 22:3-4)!  The interior of Solomon’s precious coach was paved with love, adorned with silver and gold, but pales infinitely in comparison to the throne of the Lord and His city of precious jewels as its building stones and pavement.  How much more glorious!  Here the people were called to go out and observe the earthly king and his crown in his wedding coach, but how much more joy and gladness will fill the hearts of those looking on the marriage of the Beloved Lamb with the totality of all believers who are His church and bride while seated on His eternal throne!  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment