Saturday, November 2, 2019

Trust God’s Name and Sovereignty by Promise

Exodus 6:1-13
1 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Now you shall see what I will do to Pharaoh. For with a strong hand he will let them go, and with a strong hand he will drive them out of his land.”
    2 And God spoke to Moses and said to him: “I am the Lord. 3 I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as God Almighty, but by My name Lord I was not known to them. 4 I have also established My covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their pilgrimage, in which they were strangers. 5 And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel whom the Egyptians keep in bondage, and I have remembered My covenant. 6 Therefore say to the children of Israel: ‘I am the Lord; I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, I will rescue you from their bondage, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great judgments. 7 I will take you as My people, and I will be your God. Then you shall know that I am the Lord your God who brings you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians. 8 And I will bring you into the land which I swore to give to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; and I will give it to you as a heritage: I am the Lord.’ ” 9 So Moses spoke thus to the children of Israel; but they did not heed Moses, because of anguish of spirit and cruel bondage.
    10 And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 11 “Go in, tell Pharaoh king of Egypt to let the children of Israel go out of his land.”  12 And Moses spoke before the Lord, saying, “The children of Israel have not heeded me. How then shall Pharaoh heed me, for I am of uncircumcised lips?”  13 Then the Lord spoke to Moses and Aaron, and gave them a command for the children of Israel and for Pharaoh king of Egypt, to bring the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt.

The Lord who is I AM told Moses what He was about to do to Pharaoh to use his own power to send the children of God out of the bondage of Egypt.  He reminded Moses just who He is, the God of the resurrection and life of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (Matthew 22:31-32).  His name was not known to the ancestors of Moses, but He and His faithfulness and promises were.  Now His name had been spoken to Moses at the burning bush, which name Jews are still fearful to speak, using excuses of it being too holy as they deny His righteousness in Christ alone.  Moses knew the covenant and the name, and now the promises of deliverance and the promised land already given to Abraham and his descendants.  He knows of God’s compassion for Israel in the bondage of sin and suffering meant to work for good in bringing His people into fruitfulness and as a path for redemption of all His chosen through the Messiah, the Christ, to come from the establishment of the universe.  He knows God’s words of redemption from the present situation in Egypt will show His glory as part of that predetermined plan, that they will leave Egypt and enter the land, that it is sworn by the Lord who simply IS, and that he needed to do as God says to see the mighty work of His omnipotent hand.  Therefore, Moses and Aaron listened to the command to speak to Pharaoh, even though God’s people disbelieved and he was inadequate to convince Pharaoh to release God’s people.  We also must trust God’s promise of eternal life in Christ, to speak boldly of Him (Acts 9:29), and to trust completely in the hope of glory which is Christ within us.  We have His kingdom within us which extends into the heavenly for eternity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment