Monday, September 16, 2019

God’s Plans in Spite of Ours

Genesis 27:18-29
18 So he went to his father and said, “My father.”  And he said, “Here I am. Who are you, my son?”  19 Jacob said to his father, “I am Esau your firstborn; I have done just as you told me; please arise, sit and eat of my game, that your soul may bless me.”  20 But Isaac said to his son, “How is it that you have found it so quickly, my son?” And he said, “Because the Lord your God brought it to me.”  21 Isaac said to Jacob, “Please come near, that I may feel you, my son, whether you are really my son Esau or not.” 22 So Jacob went near to Isaac his father, and he felt him and said, “The voice is Jacob's voice, but the hands are the hands of Esau.” 23 And he did not recognize him, because his hands were hairy like his brother Esau's hands; so he blessed him.  24 Then he said, “Are you really my son Esau?”  He said, “I am.”  25 He said, “Bring it near to me, and I will eat of my son's game, so that my soul may bless you.” So he brought it near to him, and he ate; and he brought him wine, and he drank. 26 Then his father Isaac said to him, “Come near now and kiss me, my son.” 27 And he came near and kissed him; and he smelled the smell of his clothing, and blessed him and said:
    “Surely, the smell of my son
    Is like the smell of a field
    Which the Lord has blessed.
    28 Therefore may God give you
    Of the dew of heaven,
    Of the fatness of the earth,
    And plenty of grain and wine.
    29 Let peoples serve you,
    And nations bow down to you.
    Be master over your brethren,
    And let your mother's sons bow down to you.
    Cursed be everyone who curses you,
    And blessed be those who bless you!”

As Rebekah and Jacob’s plan to gain the inheritance for the younger and favored son continued, Jacob brought the stew to Isaac his father and announced himself as Esau the firstborn as if he had just killed some game and quickly prepared the favorite dish.  Then he added to the deception by saying it was God who gave him the quick kill of success.  He went from simple deception to maligning God’s name.  Isaac heard the voice of Esau but was fooled by the scent and goat hair imitating Esau by Jacob the supplanter (Genesis 25:26).  After hos father ate and drank, he smelled Esau and inadvertently blessed Jacob in his place.  He promised God’s prosperity, his son’s rule, and blessings for all who blessed Jacob in return (as well as curses on those opposing him with cursing).  The deception begun by Rebekah and carried out by Jacob set the nation of Israel in motion for the future.  God sovereignly used this to work His will to make a chosen people for Himself.  The reasons why we can guess at, but we know He does not abide lies, yet is merciful to use us in spite of our sin. There is hope for us all with the assurance of His plans over ours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment