Monday, September 23, 2019

Faithfulness and Fruitfulness

Genesis 29:31-35 
31 When the Lord saw that Leah was unloved, He opened her womb; but Rachel was barren. 32 So Leah conceived and bore a son, and she called his name Reuben; for she said, “The Lord has surely looked on my affliction. Now therefore, my husband will love me.” 33 Then she conceived again and bore a son, and said, “Because the Lord has heard that I am unloved, He has therefore given me this son also.” And she called his name Simeon. 34 She conceived again and bore a son, and said, “Now this time my husband will become attached to me, because I have borne him three sons.” Therefore his name was called Levi. 35 And she conceived again and bore a son, and said, “Now I will praise the Lord.” Therefore she called his name Judah. Then she stopped bearing.

Jacob loved Rachel more than his first wife Leah because he chose Rachel but was fooled into taking the older and less attractive first.  But God answered the lack of love towards Leah with children, not giving Rachel offspring until later.  In this chapter we see the birth of Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah; each was named for her struggles, such as affliction, being loved, attachment, and praise to the Lord, as she sought her husband’s heart through giving him offspring.  Then she stopped bearing children as a dramatic pause in the story.  We see here how circumstances led to desperation for love, as well as God’s compassion and mercy to provide what others cannot or will not.  He is faithful and makes us fruitful in His calling and plans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment