Thursday, January 4, 2018

Follow the Leader

1 Corinthians 1:12-17   
12 Now I say this, that each of you says, “I am of Paul,” or “I am of Apollos,” or “I am of Cephas,” or “I am of Christ.” 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?   14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 lest anyone should say that I had baptized in my own name. 16 Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas. Besides, I do not know whether I baptized any other. 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect.

The leader we must follow is Jesus Christ, not a man in His place.  Under-shepherds follow the Shepherd of our souls, and serve Him as we also should.  We are crucified in Christ alone and baptized in His name.  The making of disciples is of Christ, not men or churches, and the emphasis here is that gospel of the cross, the crucified one, not on the ordinance of baptism.  When the gospel is preached, the redeemed will be baptized into Christ and then outwardly as a demonstration of that inward work of God, but the message of the gospel’s cross outweighs human wisdom and affections. 

No comments:

Post a Comment