Thursday, August 29, 2024

Philemon 1:8-25 - Forgiveness and Freedom

Philemon 1:8-25

The Plea for Onesimus

8 Therefore, though I might be very bold in Christ to command you what is fitting, 9 yet for love’s sake I rather appeal to you—being such a one as Paul, the aged, and now also a prisoner of Jesus Christ— 10 I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten while in my chains, 11 who once was unprofitable to you, but now is profitable to you and to me.

12 I am sending him back. You therefore receive him, that is, my own heart, 13 whom I wished to keep with me, that on your behalf he might minister to me in my chains for the gospel. 14 But without your consent I wanted to do nothing, that your good deed might not be by compulsion, as it were, but voluntary.

15 For perhaps he departed for a while for this purpose, that you might receive him forever, 16 no longer as a slave but more than a slave—a beloved brother, especially to me but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.

Philemon’s Obedience Encouraged

17 If then you count me as a partner, receive him as you would me. 18 But if he has wronged you or owes anything, put that on my account. 19 I, Paul, am writing with my own hand. I will repay—not to mention to you that you owe me even your own self besides. 20 Yes, brother, let me have joy from you in the Lord; refresh my heart in the Lord.

21 Having confidence in your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say. 22 But, meanwhile, also prepare a guest room for me, for I trust that through your prayers I shall be granted to you.

Farewell

23 Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, greets you, 24 as do Mark, Aristarchus, Demas, Luke, my fellow laborers.

25 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.


The plea for forgiveness from one once a slave of sin to the owner of a slave set free in Christ is the uplifting account here.  Forgiveness and freedom are foremost a spiritual issue as Paul explains and appeals to his brother Philemon on behalf of the converted slave Onesimus who heard the gospel through the apostle and was then seen as his son because he was the spiritual offspring of him.  Do we treat the disciples we make as our own children like Paul the aged one did, or do we just point him to Christ and neglect the rest of the great commission and take time to teach them all things (Matthew 28:20) that we were taught?  Paul labored in love over each one (1 Corinthians 4:17, Philippians 2:22) as if a natural father to them to ensure they grew up well from milk to solid food (Hebrews 5:12-13) and encouraged them to yearn for the word of God (1 Peter 2:2-3) as a way of life to continue their sanctifying spiritual growth.  He therefore wrote to Philemon, the owner of Onesimus, with his concerns and desires for this new brother in Christ as a prisoner of Jesus Christ and a slave to His righteousness.  Evidently, Paul had borne witness of the gospel to the runaway slave Onesimus while in prison (perhaps whom he had encountered while in jail himself) and the man came through repentance and faith to salvation there in Paul’s care.  He pointed out to Philemon that though this slave seemed unprofitable by escaping, as a fellow brother and believer in Christ he was coming back as a most profitable man for both Paul and Philemon in the Lord by Paul sending him while remaining a slave himself for Christ’s sake.  He pleaded therefore that the master would see the new birth of freedom in Christ and receive the man back to serve in the gospel with him instead of punishing or keeping him as a mere house slave after this wonderful work of God in him.  Paul sent him as a gift of his heart for this new child of the Lord and pleaded for his acceptance with open arms, willingly and joyfully.  Paul pointed out that this appeared to be God’s providential work to allow Onesimus to escape to be found forever in the Lord Jesus that he might return to Philemon as a beloved brother for both spiritual and other gain.  He asked for the child of God to be accepted back as if Paul himself was coming to stay as an equal and servant of the Lord and not mere help.  The apostle reminded him that he owed his own life to him and to therefore treat this man the same.  This acceptance would then give Paul refreshing joy.  This letter then was a hope of acceptance by love as the slave was accepted in Christ by grace and returned to serve the Lord together and not under compulsion anymore.  Paul then asked for a room for himself as he planned to come out of prison himself and come to stay with Philemon soon.  He ended this magnificent plea with greetings from other brothers in the Lord, both prisoners and co-laborers in the gospel of Jesus Christ who sets men free (John 8:36)!  This is the plea for us to do likewise with grace and forgiveness as we minister to one another and make disciples wherever we find ourselves, knowing that we are the Lord’s (1 Corinthians 7:22, Ephesians 6:6-8) willing slaves.  This is forgiveness that sets men free, an example of Forgiveness and Freedom for us to set men and women free through the gospel and receive them as brethren no matter their station in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment