Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Vision of Spiritual Warfare

Daniel 10:1-21 

1 In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia a message was revealed to Daniel, whose name was called Belteshazzar. The message was true, but the appointed time was long; and he understood the message, and had understanding of the vision. 2 In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. 3 I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.

4 Now on the twenty-fourth day of the first month, as I was by the side of the great river, that is, the Tigris, 5 I lifted my eyes and looked, and behold, a certain man clothed in linen, whose waist was girded with gold of Uphaz! 6 His body was like beryl, his face like the appearance of lightning, his eyes like torches of fire, his arms and feet like burnished bronze in color, and the sound of his words like the voice of a multitude.

7 And I, Daniel, alone saw the vision, for the men who were with me did not see the vision; but a great terror fell upon them, so that they fled to hide themselves. 8 Therefore I was left alone when I saw this great vision, and no strength remained in me; for my vigor was turned to frailty in me, and I retained no strength. 9 Yet I heard the sound of his words; and while I heard the sound of his words I was in a deep sleep on my face, with my face to the ground.

10 Suddenly, a hand touched me, which made me tremble on my knees and on the palms of my hands. 11 And he said to me, "O Daniel, man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak to you, and stand upright, for I have now been sent to you." While he was speaking this word to me, I stood trembling.

12 Then he said to me, "Do not fear, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart to understand, and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard; and I have come because of your words. 13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days; and behold, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I had been left alone there with the kings of Persia. 14 Now I have come to make you understand what will happen to your people in the latter days, for the vision refers to many days yet to come."

15 When he had spoken such words to me, I turned my face toward the ground and became speechless. 16 And suddenly, one having the likeness of the sons of men touched my lips; then I opened my mouth and spoke, saying to him who stood before me, "My lord, because of the vision my sorrows have overwhelmed me, and I have retained no strength. 17 For how can this servant of my lord talk with you, my lord? As for me, no strength remains in me now, nor is any breath left in me."

18 Then again, the one having the likeness of a man touched me and strengthened me. 19 And he said, "O man greatly beloved, fear not! Peace be to you; be strong, yes, be strong!"

So when he spoke to me I was strengthened, and said, "Let my lord speak, for you have strengthened me."

20 Then he said, "Do you know why I have come to you? And now I must return to fight with the prince of Persia; and when I have gone forth, indeed the prince of Greece will come. 21 But I will tell you what is noted in the Scripture of Truth. (No one upholds me against these, except Michael your prince.


Daniel is given a vision of warfare in the spiritual realm, unseen and fearful.  The message was to take place in the distant future, but that did not take away the truth of its certainty to occur just because it could not be observed in the here and now while Daniel still was alive.  Most importantly, Daniel understood the message shown to him, even if we now struggle to fully comprehend the extent and exact meaning or what the details mean.  While he sat by the river an angelic man suddenly stood before him, clothed similarly as Jesus in the first chapter of Revelation (Revelation 1:13-15) with the description trying to capture what a heavenly being looks like in terms not available to us.  A face like lightning and eyes as torches with a voice sounding as a multitude of simultaneous speakers.  What a sight to see!  On top of that, Daniel was the only one who could see this angel standing right in front of him and some others who were there.  The others were so afraid that they ran and hid as Daniel fainted before that warrior messenger.  He was touched by the angel and awoken to hear still more with knocking knees and hands holding himself off the ground.  He praised Daniel for understanding the visions and for his humility in interceding for his people who were also of God.  The heavenly being recounted his battle in the unseen spiritual realm which had delayed him coming sooner to Daniel and how he had been sent specifically to reveal the future of his people to him.  This vision was a future account of the latter days which left Daniel speechless.  One “having the likeness of a man” touched his lips to reopen them so he could respond once more and he told that angel how he was overcome with sorrow for the state of his people in their idolatry and immortality caused by wandering from the LORD.  This vision took away his strength and even his breath to speak, yet the angel gave him strength and encouragement saying, “fear not!”  He also pronounced the peace of God on him and told him to be strong in the midst of the current situation because the future held more hope than the present circumstances afforded.  Daniel acknowledged that his strength had returned and asked to hear more.  The angel had to go to battle with the prince of Persia and of Greece, and how he was given the mandate and strength against those by the archangel Michael.  This angel who looked like a man would tell Daniel all according to God’s scripture of truth of what was and is sand is to come.  The rest would be told in the following chapters.  What we can glean from this is not an exact timeline of future events in the latter days (end times), but the hope and assurance of God’s sovereign authority and power in His rule over all history for the good of His chosen people and defeat of our common enemies.  Be strong of good courage and hope!  Christ has won the war and has victory in every battle, seen and unseen (Ephesians 6:12-13, 1 Corinthians 15:57-58, Revelation 19:11, 14-15).  When we stand before the Lord at last, then the details of this battle from the beginning in the Garden until the pressing tribulations at the end through such visions of the unseen battles will all make sense and give us joy in the eternal hope given to us over the centuries in the scriptures of truth.  Stand firm in His strength and on His Word!  Let us not fear, but trust our sovereign Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment