Sunday, January 15, 2023

Retribution on the Enemies of God’s People

Ezekiel 25:1-17 

Proclamation Against Ammon

1 The word of the LORD came to me, saying, 2 "Son of man, set your face against the Ammonites, and prophesy against them. 3 Say to the Ammonites, 'Hear the word of the Lord GOD! Thus says the Lord GOD: "Because you said, 'Aha!' against My sanctuary when it was profaned, and against the land of Israel when it was desolate, and against the house of Judah when they went into captivity, 4 indeed, therefore, I will deliver you as a possession to the men of the East, and they shall set their encampments among you and make their dwellings among you; they shall eat your fruit, and they shall drink your milk. 5 And I will make Rabbah a stable for camels and Ammon a resting place for flocks. Then you shall know that I am the LORD."

6 'For thus says the Lord GOD: "Because you clapped your hands, stamped your feet, and rejoiced in heart with all your disdain for the land of Israel, 7 indeed, therefore, I will stretch out My hand against you, and give you as plunder to the nations; I will cut you off from the peoples, and I will cause you to perish from the countries; I will destroy you, and you shall know that I am the LORD."

Proclamation Against Moab

8 'Thus says the Lord GOD: "Because Moab and Seir say, 'Look! The house of Judah is like all the nations,' 9 therefore, behold, I will clear the territory of Moab of cities, of the cities on its frontier, the glory of the country, Beth Jeshimoth, Baal Meon, and Kirjathaim. 10 To the men of the East I will give it as a possession, together with the Ammonites, that the Ammonites may not be remembered among the nations. 11 And I will execute judgments upon Moab, and they shall know that I am the LORD."

Proclamation Against Edom

12 'Thus says the Lord GOD: "Because of what Edom did against the house of Judah by taking vengeance, and has greatly offended by avenging itself on them," 13 therefore thus says the Lord GOD: "I will also stretch out My hand against Edom, cut off man and beast from it, and make it desolate from Teman; Dedan shall fall by the sword. 14 I will lay My vengeance on Edom by the hand of My people Israel, that they may do in Edom according to My anger and according to My fury; and they shall know My vengeance," says the Lord GOD.

Proclamation Against Philistia

15 'Thus says the Lord GOD: "Because the Philistines dealt vengefully and took vengeance with a spiteful heart, to destroy because of the old hatred," 16 therefore thus says the Lord GOD: "I will stretch out My hand against the Philistines, and I will cut off the Cherethites and destroy the remnant of the seacoast. 17 I will execute great vengeance on them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the LORD, when I lay My vengeance upon them."'"


The Retribution of God on those against God’s people is His divine justice and judgment meted out, here against Ammon, Moab, Edom, and Philistia.  In the final judgment this vengeance against His enemies and ours will include all who reject His Christ and His word of the gospel while persecuting His own as Revelation 6:10 states.  Ammon rejoiced when Israel profaned the sanctuary, when the enemy destroyed and emptied the promised land, and when God’s people were taken away into captivity with contempt for them.  Moab rejoiced when God’s people were humbled and defeated to look like all other defeated nations, as if they were nothing special to God.  Edom used this opportunity to enact their own vengeance on God’s people for the past judgments of God against them as a way to justify themselves.  Philistia spitefully went after their own vengeance on God’s people with an unforgiving heart of long-past grievances.  All who opposed God’s chosen ones were held accountable and felt the full retribution of God against them in return.  They would be defeated, enslaved, their lands taken away, rebuked and laid waste by the sword of judgment and destruction of divine vengeance.  God protects His name and glory, and He protects His chosen ones from the evil one and all set against Him and them.  Then all will bow and acknowledge Him as Lord of lords and King of kings when He executes justice on all as He honors Himself and His chosen people (Deuteronomy 32:35, 43, Isaiah 45:23, Philippians 2:10-11).  There is retribution on the enemies of God’s people.  As for we the people of God’s kingdom, we have a patient hope to endure for His name’s sake (Romans 8:18, 2 Corinthians 4:17-18, 1 Peter 4:17-19) as we await eternal retribution on His enemies (Romans 12:19) and our deliverance by His choosing of grace and mercy.  We have a certain eternal hope therefore as we endure suffering as His people because eternal justice is just as certain to follow to honor His name and our calling.  We may not find justice in this world, but most certainly will find it from the Lord when He comes in His kingdom brought down to earth.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment