Thursday, November 25, 2021

Praise the LORD Who Has Done It!

Psalms 109:21-31

21 But You, O GOD the Lord,
Deal with me for Your name's sake;
Because Your mercy is good, deliver me.

22 For I am poor and needy,
And my heart is wounded within me.
23 I am gone like a shadow when it lengthens;
I am shaken off like a locust.

24 My knees are weak through fasting,
And my flesh is feeble from lack of fatness.
25 I also have become a reproach to them;
When they look at me, they shake their heads.

26 Help me, O LORD my God!
Oh, save me according to Your mercy,
27 That they may know that this is Your hand—
That You, LORD, have done it!

28 Let them curse, but You bless;
When they arise, let them be ashamed,
But let Your servant rejoice.
29 Let my accusers be clothed with shame,
And let them cover themselves with their own disgrace as with a mantle.

30 I will greatly praise the LORD with my mouth;
Yes, I will praise Him among the multitude.
31 For He shall stand at the right hand of the poor,
To save him from those who condemn him.


You, LORD, have done it!  It is Your deliverance that saves me from the false accusers and all those set against me because I am Yours.   As the psalmist David, a man after Your own heart has written, Your mercy is good because You, are and we are delivered by that merciful grace.  The knowledge of being poor and needy (Revelation 3:17, Luke 6:20) humbles us to rely on God’s work alone for salvation because He gets the glory due to Him great and holy name as is fitting.  We are weak, He is strong.  We can seek Him and His will by fasting as we suffer in hope, counting it all joy in the end, even if we are mocked and reproached by our enemies.  Then we echo David’s cry for help according to His mercy, all that God may be glorified and honored because it is obviously His hand of effectual grace in the lives of His children whom He calls to Himself.  You, LORD, have done it!  Not us.  So when our enemies curse us, we bless (Matthew 5:44) them in return, for it is God’s vengeance they deserve and will obtain in the end, not ours.  We therefore can rejoice as our accusers will be shamed and ashamed when they stand before His face at last, but we will be exonerated by the blood of Christ’s sacrifice for us.  They will be covered in disgrace as their mantle which they have worn in this life, while we shine in new garments (2 Corinthians 5:3-4, Revelation 3:5, 1 Corinthians 15:53) instead of shame and disgrace of unrighteousness and unbelief.  The final stanza sum this all up, as we will greatly praise our Savior out loud among others, glorifying the One who stands for we poor and oppressed from the condemnation our sin’s recompense rightly deserves, but we have been set free from!  Praise the Lord! Let us be filled with thanksgiving for His work on the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment