Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Despondent Prayer with Hope

Job 13:20-28

20 "Only two things do not do to me,
Then I will not hide myself from You:

21 Withdraw Your hand far from me,
And let not the dread of You make me afraid.

22 Then call, and I will answer;
Or let me speak, then You respond to me.

23 How many are my iniquities and sins?
Make me know my transgression and my sin.

24 Why do You hide Your face,
And regard me as Your enemy?

25 Will You frighten a leaf driven to and fro?
And will You pursue dry stubble?

26 For You write bitter things against me,
And make me inherit the iniquities of my youth.

27 You put my feet in the stocks,
And watch closely all my paths.
You set a limit for the soles of my feet.

28 "Man decays like a rotten thing,
Like a garment that is moth-eaten.


Job trusted God in his adversity, yet still grew ever more despondent as the trials of suffering continued.  He kept turning to God in prayer to reason with the Almighty (Job 13:3).  He really only asked for two main things as verse 20 starts this conversation with God.  First, that God would not leave him alone in the suffering, but remain close by.  Second, that he would not be overwhelmed with the fear of God to his dread and destruction.  He wanted His creator to be close and His hand of protection and sustaining goodness to not leave him helpless and alone.  He also did not want to give in to the situation so that the adverse circumstances might make him lose trust and give into fear of punishment and torment (1 John 4:18).  Job had held to God’s providence of goodness and grace from the beginning, and he did not want to lose his grasp on that truth as he endured prolonged suffering.  He did not want to withdraw, to hide from God, and so he prayed for these two things to strengthen his faith and not forget.  Job then promised to answer the LORD when He called to Job, as well as to be allowed to speak to Him and be heard in response.  He asked to have his sins exposed, not kept from him as if he was a condemned enemy of the Most High.  The evidence against him seemed insurmountable, for he was pursued by God’s justice for his sins from his beginning days.  He felt as a prisoner of these things, locked in the stocks and restrained from moving away from them.  Job ultimately knew all mankind is as a rotted waste and moth-eaten piece of clothing.  There was no inherent righteousness in people apart from God.  We know that now as well, for the only righteousness and uprightness in us is Christ Himself whom we are now found in.  We pray with absolute hope of answers either now or in eternity, and need not be despondent as Job was without that gospel assurance.  We know His hand is ever upon us for good (Romans 8:28) and that He will never leave us alone (Deuteronomy 31:6, Hebrews 13:5, 2 Corinthians 4:17-18) or forsake us entirely as we suffer trials for the sake of Christ.  Our temporal despondent prayers have everlasting hope to brighten our souls in Christ our Savior.  

No comments:

Post a Comment