Saturday, October 17, 2020

Exalted Praise to the Rock of Salvation!

2 Samuel 22:38-51 

38 “I have pursued my enemies and destroyed them;
Neither did I turn back again till they were destroyed.

39 And I have destroyed them and wounded them,
So that they could not rise;
They have fallen under my feet.

40 For You have armed me with strength for the battle;
You have subdued under me those who rose against me.

41 You have also given me the necks of my enemies,
So that I destroyed those who hated me.

42 They looked, but there was none to save;
Even to the LORD, but He did not answer them.

43 Then I beat them as fine as the dust of the earth;
I trod them like dirt in the streets,
And I spread them out.

44 “You have also delivered me from the strivings of my people;
You have kept me as the head of the nations.
A people I have not known shall serve me.

45 The foreigners submit to me;
As soon as they hear, they obey me.

46 The foreigners fade away,
And come frightened from their hideouts.

47 “The LORD lives!
Blessed be my Rock!
Let God be exalted,
The Rock of my salvation!

48 It is God who avenges me,
And subdues the peoples under me;

49 He delivers me from my enemies.
You also lift me up above those who rise against me;
You have delivered me from the violent man.

50 Therefore I will give thanks to You, O LORD, among the Gentiles,
And sing praises to Your name.

51 He is the tower of salvation to His king,
And shows mercy to His anointed,
To David and his descendants forevermore.”


The song of David finishes with flourishes of praise, exalting the Rock of his salvation, his deliverance from the enemy.  He pursued and overtook them by God’s enabling of strength as the LORD won the battles, subduing and destroying them.  The LORD did not deliver, did not save his enemies because they foremost were His enemies.  David was also delivered from internal attacks and kept him as ruler over them according to His planned will.  Therefore , David breaks out in this famous song we yet sing, acknowledging that the LORD reigns as supreme Sovereign and exalting His name because He is the solid Rock upon which he and we stand!  God alone will avenge His people in the final judgement, saving us from the enemy and those opposing us now because we are His ambassadors (1 Peter 5:8, Jude 1:6, 15, Revelation 6:10, 2 Corinthians 5:20, Galatians 1:4).  The Messiah-Christ, the Lion of the tribe of Judah who is in the flesh descended from David, He shows mercy to the called descendants of faith as of Abraham whom we are (Galatians 3:9, Romans 4:1-5), just as David ends his song here with the acknowledgment of God’s mercy and grace ultimately through Christ our Lord as foretold and foreshadowed.  Let us then come boldly to that throne of grace for help in the opposition of the enemy, with such praise of hope ringing out as good news to the world around us of His sovereign grace and reconciling mercy from the cross and out of the grave!  As David sings here, “The LORD lives! Blessed be my Rock! Let God be exalted, The Rock of my salvation!” (2 Sam. 22:47). Knowing God is good and perfect, that we can trust every word He has spoken, that He is the only infinitely solid foundation, that He is all powerful to protect and guide our steps - so we can trust absolutely in His salvation for life now as well as eternally. He makes our way complete and watches over us to protect both soul and spirit, giving abilities and strength to follow Christ and to do His will as we work out our salvation’s sanctification (Philippians 2:12). We therefore find David’s example of heart and actions gives us confidence in all things. 


No comments:

Post a Comment