Wednesday, October 23, 2019

God’s Providential Guidance and Provision

Genesis 47:27-31 
27 So Israel dwelt in the land of Egypt, in the country of Goshen; and they had possessions there and grew and multiplied exceedingly. 28 And Jacob lived in the land of Egypt seventeen years. So the length of Jacob's life was one hundred and forty-seven years. 29 When the time drew near that Israel must die, he called his son Joseph and said to him, “Now if I have found favor in your sight, please put your hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me. Please do not bury me in Egypt, 30 but let me lie with my fathers; you shall carry me out of Egypt and bury me in their burial place.”  And he said, “I will do as you have said.”  31 Then he said, “Swear to me.” And he swore to him. So Israel bowed himself on the head of the bed.

God had miraculously arranged events from dreams of deliverance to slavery to deception to deliverance from famine and death.  He brought His chosen people down to Egypt by putting His chosen servant Joseph in charge by God-given wisdom and skills.  Now we see all His people settled in the fertile part of a foreign land where they were exceedingly fruitful and multiplied as commanded and promised.  Even Israel (Jacob) lived far beyond what he thought.  But when he was ready to die at last, Israel called Joseph out of all his sons to have him promise to bury him in the promised land given by God, and not in this temporary place of rescue and respite.  Joseph promised to do as he said, swearing it would be so.  We learn here of God’s guidance and providential provision, of the temporal country over the promised one to look forward to (Hebrews 11:9, 15-16), and His sovereign care for we who are His chosen people by His great hand of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment